Thursday, February 5, 2009

When NOT to Build a Church

In a recent conversation with a potential client, the following comment was made:
We've been discussing for over year the opportunity we have to relocate to another site. There are pros and cons both either way, so we decided to take a vote to see what to do next. About 60% of the congregation voting said we should consider moving, so I'm calling you to see what to do next.

We finished the conversation, and I will be talking with the leadership team in the near future. What path do you think that conversation is going to take? Remember, now - I work for a church building company. So do you think I will roll in there, whip out the latest and greatest plan for their church, and move forward?

Don't think so.

I may work for a church builder, but my boss makes one thing very clear: we are Kingdom Builders first and foremost. We focus on the "real" church - the people of God - not the structure that they meet in. Buildings are only a tool for the ministries of the church. They are not an end unto themselves.

Consequently, there are questions that buildings won't answer, and shouldn't be asked to. A resource we refer churches to quite frequently is the book When Not to Build, by Ray Bowman. Bowman is a church architect who for years designed churches for what the congregation wanted, instead of working with them to understand what they really needed for ministry growth and expansion. There is a big difference in the two, and Bowman realized what a disservice he was doing. His book outlines a solid process churches should consider when thinking about building. I will explore it a little more tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm off for a day of consultations with churches in Georgia - and will be listening close to hear what their real needs are.

I'm all about helping you build your church -
sometimes I even use bricks and steel!

1 comment:

g-force said...

Wow, a 60/40 split? I'll be praying for them & for you!!

-Genise