Monday, February 9, 2009

Is this the right time to build?

I didn't intend to follow up on the last two posts, but several questions from churches since last Friday caused me to add a few final (at least for now!) thoughts.

I had several phone conversations Friday, and a church visit Sunday, and essentially the same question was asked: Given all the economic uncertainty, is this the right time to build? Based on my conversations with churches since last fall and the beginning of the economic meltdown, the answer is: It depends.

I have had some churches move forward with their plans to build. The process is a little slower, but they are convinced that God is leading them forward at this time. One client even enlarged the scope of their project because they exceeded their capital stewardship program goal. For churches that are clear on their direction, moving forward is the right thing to do.

I have had a few churches that were anticipating moving forward with preliminary planning in 2009 shelf that idea, at least for now. They have prayed, discussed, and believe its the right thing to do. For those churches, stopping is the right thing to do.

There are a host of other churches in that vast middle ground: they were thinking about expansion plans, but are not sure to go ahead, or wait. For those churches who have uncertainty, seeking the right "next step" is the right thing to do.

Like I said, it depends.

There is no cookie cutter, pat answer I can give churches that ask me, because each church situation and church are unique. The only thing I can say for sure is that God wants His church to grow - maybe not in terms of buildings, but certainly in terms of individual relationships with God, sharing Christ with others, and serving others in Christ's name.

There is no option on that count.

No comments: