Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Turn Everyday Moments Into Learning Moments

I consider myself a lifelong learner.

Guilty as charged.

Proud of it!

I suspect it had a lot to do with my parent's insistence on reading. From a very early age my mother took my brother and I to the library in the next town every two weeks to get the allotted maximum of 15 books. I would usually devour those in a day or two and reread them till the two weeks rolled around and we could go get some more. My father was also a great reader. Self-employed, he would pull out a good book or magazine or newspaper after supper and read for several hours before bedtime.

In my current calling as a church development consultant, I'm always reading a book (actually 3-5 at a time, but that's another post), conducting research on the Web, talking with church leaders around the country, and oftentimes, just being plain curious about something.

One of the best ways to practice lifelong learning is to just be aware of what is going on around you, and asking a couple of questions:

So what?

Now what?

If you've got an open mind, a curious nature, and listening ears, those four simple words will take you a long way on the journey of lifelong learning.

No comments: