Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm a grandfather...

My oldest son became a father earlier this year. That makes me a grandfather. Those are simple words to say but what implications!

  • I now have a heritage to maintain. Four children should have made that clear, but somehow having another generation, your child’s child, makes it different.
  • The world thinks you’re old. Check out the card section for any card dealing with any family event that has the word “grandfather” and a picture associated with it.
    Retirement is around the corner. That’s what all the commercials for financial services indicate.
  • AARP comes calling. That probably has more to do with the fact that I turned 50 this year, but you know what I mean. You’re a grandfather, so you’ve got to be old!

I have news for the world:

  • My heritage was established twice; the moment I was physically born into my family, and the moment I was spiritually born into the family of the redeemed. I have responsibilities to be proud of, and to pass on, both heritages to my children and their children. They, in turn, have responsibilities to pass them on again. My heritage, my legacy? It’s to acknowledge Christ as Lord, and create an environment in my family so they can make the same decision.
  • I’m not old. My body doesn’t work like it used to or like I want it to, but it works. My mind is still curious; there are puzzles still to be solved.
  • Retirement is a long way off. I may not work for the same employer; I may not work at all in the traditional sense. But work is a part of who I am, and will be, for decades to come.
    I don’t need AARP for their advocacy, their influence, or for their discounts.

    I’m a grandfather – wow!

No comments: