Consider these pairs:
- A luxury car dealership and a used car lot
- A theme park and a traveling carnival
- A designer clothing retailer and an outlet store
The simple fact is that everything, animate and inanimate, speaks to customers.
The above words come from "Be Our Guest," the fantastic customer service book published by The Disney Institute. During this 40 Day Guest Services Journey, I have mentioned Disney several times. As we head into the final week of the journey - talking about Place - it's appropriate to start at Disney and understand "the magic of setting."
Setting is the environment in which service is delivered to customers, all of the objects within that environment, and the procedures used to enhance and maintain the service environment and objects.
- Architectural design
- Directional designs on flooring and wall coverings
- Texture of floor surfaces
- Focal points and directional signs
- Internal and external detail
- Music and ambient noise
- Touch and tactile experiences