The definitions of capacity are many and all are useful for this brief thought: Are we living up to the capacity God designed into us?
- Do we have the ability to perform or produce something that will honor God?
- Are we always doing the maximum amount of activity possible for God?
- Do we understand a specific function that God has gifted us for?
- Are we exercising our brains to increase the ability to store information for Kingdom purposes?
- Do we have the power to learn and retain knowledge that will help us understand the facts and significance of our behavior?
- Are we a vessel, continually being filled up, and then emptied out, for His service?
My initial thoughts about capacity always go to the last definition: What’s my capacity for receiving the gifts and blessings of the Holy Spirit? If I continually only receive, then eventually I am satiated, and can receive no more. But if I am continually pouring out, then there is always room for God to invest and indwell in me.
For me, it’s the process of filling and emptying I seek – I don’t want to be satisfied with the status quo of half-empty or half-full.