Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Capacity


Is your glass half-empty – or half-full? That tricky question has been around for a long time, and countless jokes and other comments have been made about it over the years. Rather than focus on the current state of the glass, what if we instead focused on its capacity?

The definitions of capacity are many and all are useful for this brief thought: Are we living up to the capacity God designed into us?



  • Do we have the ability to perform or produce something that will honor God?

  • Are we always doing the maximum amount of activity possible for God?

  • Do we understand a specific function that God has gifted us for?

  • Are we exercising our brains to increase the ability to store information for Kingdom purposes?

  • Do we have the power to learn and retain knowledge that will help us understand the facts and significance of our behavior?

  • Are we a vessel, continually being filled up, and then emptied out, for His service?


My initial thoughts about capacity always go to the last definition: What’s my capacity for receiving the gifts and blessings of the Holy Spirit? If I continually only receive, then eventually I am satiated, and can receive no more. But if I am continually pouring out, then there is always room for God to invest and indwell in me.

For me, it’s the process of filling and emptying I seek – I don’t want to be satisfied with the status quo of half-empty or half-full.

No comments: